Ulrich Maly, Mayor of Nuremberg, Germany
The 2010 results
The 2010 project
The 2010 finalists
Code of Ethics
The World Mayor Prize
The 2008 results
The 2008 project
The 2008 finalists
The World Mayor Award
Helen Zille thanks supporters
Mayors of Melbourne and Cape Town exchange letters
With Mayor of Cape Town
With Mayor of Zurich
On Mayor of Cape Town
On Mayor of Chacao
On Mayor of Gothenburg
On Mayor of Guayaquil
On Mayor of Marikina City
On Mayor of Memphis
On Mayor of Nuremberg
On Mayor of Phoenix
On Mayor of Porto Alegre
On Mayor of Tehran
On Mayor of Villa Nueva
On Mayor of Zurich
The 2006 results
The 2006 finalists
The World Mayor Award
Dora Bakoyannis congratulates John So
The 2005 results
List of finalists
Winning mayors write
Mayor Rama writes - Mayor Bakoyannis replies
The 2004 contest
List of all 2004 finalists
Edi Rama wins 2004 award
People ask - Edi Rama replies
About City Mayors
Comments in support of
The finalists for the 2008 World Mayor Award were chosen on the number of votes received and, more importantly, on the persuasiveness and conviction of supporting statements. Below we publish a representative selection of comments received about Ulrich Maly, Mayor of Nuremberg (Nürnberg).
Mayor of Nuremberg (Nürnberg) Germany
Comment: Mr Ulrich Maly is a convinced democrat and has been fighting neo-Nazis' rallieses in Nürnberg and the region effectively. He supports and encourages the citizens of the Metropolitan Region Nürnberg to stand up against nationalism, xenophobia and intolerance. Mr Maly has shown the world that Nürnberg has learned the lessons of history. He wants (t)his city to be the spearhead of reconciliation, tolerance and peace.
Comment: Born in Nuremberg, I have lived in a vast number of those cities represented in this contest - and Uli Maly is by far the best mayor when it comes to finding the ideal combination of taking care of your local roots and opening up to the rest of the world. Two thumbs up - and keep up the great work!
Comment: He has established a close relationship to the people of the city and encourages communication and participation.
Comment: Mr Maly has the 3 most important characteristics, needing a Mayor: 1. he is able to listen somebody and he does! 2. He has an unusual analytic intelligence 3. He is able to reduce difficult affairs to the essence, understandable for everybody.
Comment: He is not only a man of his own party. He can speak with everyone and tolerates other ideas except Neo-Nazis. This is good for our city of freedom. He had made Nürnberg one of the safest cities in Germany.
Comment: Uli Maly is a very capable mayor. he tackles all challenges successfully and is very popular with the inhabitants. He has spent most of his life in Nürnberg and knows the city really well. he is the right person at the right place at the right time.
Comment: I vote for Ulrich Maly, Mayor of Nuremberg because of his achievements in improving the lives of immigrants living in the city of Nuremberg and elsewhere.
Comment: He is great. He is cool. He is smart. He is polite.
Comment: Ulrich Maly is a passionate politician, who cares about the people and their problems. It is important to him that he keeps in touch with the citizens. He listens to their complaints and tries to find solutions. This can be seen for example in many different projects, which he had started during his first term in office to improve the quality of life in various districts like in St. Leonhard. Having many executive responsibilities, Maly influences the development of Nürnberg in a positive way. Furthermore, he could strengthen the economic power of the Metropolitan Region of Nürnberg with the help of the other mayors of the region. New companies could be established and therefore unemployment rates decrease. Besides this, he is a good representative of Nürnberg. He has strengthend the relations between Nürnberg and its Sister Cities like Antalya or Shenzhen. Besides this, Maly engages in human rights and in many different projects against neo-nazis and xenophobia.
Comment: Uli Maly is the best mayor Nürnberg ever had!
Comment: He has woken up Nuremberg out of a long Big Sleep and initiated many projects especially for the poorest of the people. Furthermore, he's truly citizen-oriented. All together he made Nuremberg an official metropolitan region, united the surrounding cities and pushed the region way ahead. Nevertheless Lord Mayor Maly stays very interested in details and personal concerns of the citizens and keeps the finances of the city at the plus side.
Comment: He is young and dynamic and very good for our city - he brings lot of international culture and arts to Nuremberg.
Comment: Dr Maly is the best Mayor, we have had during my time in Nuurnberg. I am 73 years old and I have lived here for 46 years. This town is wonderful and we had a good life here.
Comment: Our mayor cares about the environment and youth of the city.
Comment: Mr Uli Maly is a very nice and friendly person. If he is asked about a certain topic, he will always be well informed about it. He stays polite, no matter how silly a question might be and doesn't behave like other politicians.
Comment: His visions and ideas have helped our city a lot and he knows how to deal with difficulties that have to do with migration and racism.
Comment: The world's best major is Ulrich Maly, because Nuremberg is functioning with him. There is tourism, no big financial problems, a good infrastructure. it's attractive, clean and much more. Furthermore, Maly is loved by Nuremberg's people, as you could see at the last election. He can handle everything, is popular, close to the people and is a native, so he is the world major 2008.
Comment: For me Mr Maly is the best mayor of the world, because he his so natural, young, intelligent and represents Nürnberg in a very successful manner.
Comment: He understands to combine the interests of older people with those of younger ones in the city. He made the city clean, quiet and with a high leisure value. There is nearly no crime (but that is not the responsibility of mayors in Germany)
Comment: Ulrich Maly deserves to be the World Mayor because he does understand the regional needs and brings them together with Nürnberg being a city open to the world. He was one of the big supporters in World Cup 2006 and made Nürnberg living the "A time to make friends" games.
Some 205,000 people from across took part in the 2008 World Mayor Project
• Omar El Bahraoui, Rabat, Morocco
• Helen Zille, Cape Town, South Africa
• Amos Masondo, Johannesburg, South Africa
• Stephen Mandel, Edmonton, Canada
• Sam Katz, Winnipeg, Canada
• Martin Chavez, Albuquerque, USA
• Michael B Coleman, Columbus, USA
• Mufi Hannemann, Honolulu, USA
• Antonio Villaraigosa, Los Angeles, USA
• Willie W Herenton, Memphis, USA
• Manny Diaz, Miami, USA
• Raymond Thomas Rybak, Minneapolis, USA
• Phil Gordon, Phoenix, USA
• Julio César Pereyra, Mayor of Florencio Varela, Argentina
• José Fogaça, Porto Alegre, Brazil
• Juan Contino Aslán, Havana, Cuba
• Jaime Nebot, Guayaquil, Ecuador
• Paco Moncayo, Quito, Ecuador
• Salvador Gandara, Villa Nueva, Guatemala
• Antonio Astiazaran, Guaymas, Mexico
• Ernesto Gandara, Hermosillo, Mexico
• Ricardo Ehrlich, Montevideo, Uruguay
• Juan Barreto, Caracas, Venezuela
• Leopoldo Eduardo López, Chacao, Venezuela
• Han Zheng, Shanghai, China
• Zhang Guangning, Guangzhou, China
• C M Sheila Dikshit, Delhi, India
• Fauzi Bowo, Jakarta, Indonesia
• Mohammad Baqer Ghalibaf, Tehran, Iran
• Tadatoshi Akiba, Hiroshima, Japan
• Hiroshi Nakada, Yokohama, Japan
• Marides Fernando, Marikina City, Philippines
• Vladimir Gorodets, Novosibirsk, Russia
• Park Wan-soo, Changwon City, South Korea
• Kadir Topbas, Istanbul, Turkey
• Patrick Janssens, Antwerp, Belgium
• Boiko Borisov, Sofia, Bulgaria
• Eleni Mavrou, Nicosia, Cyprus
• Bertrand Delanoë, Paris, France
• Pierre Albertini, Rouen, France
• Jens Böhrnsen, Bremen, Germany
• Ulrich Maly, Nürnberg, Germany
• Wolfgang Schuster, Stuttgart, Germany
• Kyriakos Virvidakis, Chania, Greece
• Sergio Cofferati, Bologna, Italy
• Walter Veltroni, Rome, Italy
• Rafal Dutkiewicz, Wroclaw, Poland
• Rosa Aguilar, Cordoba, Spain
• Göran Johansson, Gothenburg, Sweden
• Elmar Ledergerber, Zurich, Switzerland